crocs? it's all about crocs.
Audrey loves crocs. She'd wear them everywhere and everyday. This is the 5th week of school (I think, maybe 4th... yes, 4th!) and she hasn't worn them one day yet. I asked her last week if she was allowed to wear crocs to school and she said no. Then she said just not today. Then I knew she was lieing. Then she said no again. This sort of surprised me. She wasn't supposed to wear them last year for AR preschool, but she's not in preschool anymore and I wasn't sure what the reasoning would be for a kindergartener. Oh well, don't push it.
I asked her again last night. She wavered on her answer again. I told her I was going to email her teacher and ask. If I found out she was lying, I would take tv away from her for the rest of the week. I then got the real story... (we'll deal with the lying later, she's been doing it alot lately and I'm not quite sure what to do).
Apparently, a girl wore crocs to school and got made fun of. The crocs had eyes on them and were super cute. Not just plain crocs, but crocs shaped like an animal. Audreys are the same, pink, eyes, cute. She doesn't want to wear them because she didn't want to get made fun of. She didn't want kids to laugh at her. My heart broke little bit... we'll deal with the issue at a later date.
I so want little children that don't care what others think. Kids that can stick up for themselves and for others. Kids that do, wear, say what they want to and what they believe in because they have the self confidence to do so. I pray that she did not join in on the laughter... that she stuck up for the other little girl.
I also pray that we can figure out how to teach her truth from lying. Telling stories is fun, but pretending they are the truth is not.
Homeschooling, protecting kids from bad outside influences is soooooo tempting. It's certainly not for Audrey and I, but it's soooooo tempting. I know, I can't protect them forever. I can want to, right?
I asked her again last night. She wavered on her answer again. I told her I was going to email her teacher and ask. If I found out she was lying, I would take tv away from her for the rest of the week. I then got the real story... (we'll deal with the lying later, she's been doing it alot lately and I'm not quite sure what to do).
Apparently, a girl wore crocs to school and got made fun of. The crocs had eyes on them and were super cute. Not just plain crocs, but crocs shaped like an animal. Audreys are the same, pink, eyes, cute. She doesn't want to wear them because she didn't want to get made fun of. She didn't want kids to laugh at her. My heart broke little bit... we'll deal with the issue at a later date.
I so want little children that don't care what others think. Kids that can stick up for themselves and for others. Kids that do, wear, say what they want to and what they believe in because they have the self confidence to do so. I pray that she did not join in on the laughter... that she stuck up for the other little girl.
I also pray that we can figure out how to teach her truth from lying. Telling stories is fun, but pretending they are the truth is not.
Homeschooling, protecting kids from bad outside influences is soooooo tempting. It's certainly not for Audrey and I, but it's soooooo tempting. I know, I can't protect them forever. I can want to, right?

2 Comments:
Ugh. Sick feeling in my stomach. I hate to think my kids are worried about stuff. So sorry that it's come up already. And yes, I think you can definitely want to protect them. At least, I do too! :)
It makes me so sad that kindergartners are already so mean, but it makes me happy to hear about your family. I wish we lived closer and could hang out with you!
Post a Comment
<< Home