the family notes...

just our life, some pictures, some dumb stories, some funny stories... we miss our family and old friends, hoping to share a small snapshot of what we do here...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bentonville, AR, United States

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

marathon's over...

Well, if you would have talked to me sunday (after the marathon), I would have been in a very good mood.

If you would have talked to me monday, my mood did a 180 (big reason why I didn't post yesterday).

TODAY... I'm in a good mood again :)

Sunday was rough... very rough. The first 9 miles were AWESOME! We were crusing along, having a good time, enjoying the festivities along the way, no problems, happy-go-lucky. Then, I don't know what happened. Mile 10... huh, I was getting super tired. Mile 11... double huh, I was out of energy. Heidi and I had a little chat, and I asked her to go ahead of me. That was difficult for both of us. We both knew at that point we needed each other to have a good run, but I didn't want her to regret the day and wish that she had finished earlier.

Mile 12, I saw hubby for the first time and I BEGGED (and I mean BEGGGGEEEED) him to take me home. I didn't want to do it anymore and I wanted to GO HOME. Luckly, the car was at the finish and I had to keep trudging along. He said he's be at mile 17 for me with my neighbors and my daughter.

I tried to pull myself together and make it the next five miles. My friend Amanda and Heidi's mom and dad were at mile 15... very nice. Hubby and nieghbors at mile 17. Hubby again at 20 (or was it 21?)... hubby again at mile 23 (where we had a little exchange over an ice cream cone he had purchased me and eaten himself minutes earlier... he wore a cup of water for that one)... friends Tara and Jason at mile 24... and to the finish. I actually started running again at 26!!! Thanks, everyone!

So, back to the race. I was pretty mad at myself and trying to deal with the fact that I wasn't going to finish in 5 hours or less... until I reached the Franklin Street Bridge, right before mile 19. Holy cow, I wish you guys could have seen it. God's creation in full view. The bridge crosses over the Mississippi River and wow, is it beautiful. It was then that I realized that I was really going to enjoy the rest of this course. I walked/ran/walked along really enjoying what God created and thanked Him for giving me a body that enduring the training. So, I had a bad race day, no big deal... the training was difficult and I did it... and if I were really running (I mean really, running) I wouldn't be able to enjoy the course, the scenery, the spectators, the other runners. It was a lesson in humility... and I'm thankful for it.

Monday, another story. I was mad again. Dissappointed. Mad. Really dissappointed. It was alot of work and I didn't reach my goal. I'm back to Sunday's attitude though... it was a gorgeous day and I'm really happy that I was able to participate. I still got the cool medal the the great t-shirt and the amazing pictures.

Why, why was it a bad day for my body? I'll never really know. Did I do something different? Should I have done something different? Start out too fast? Not drink enough water the week earlier? Not carbo-load enough? Too hot outside (yes... 80+ when we finished)? I'll never know and that's OK.

Sunday, while walking back to the car, I told hubby to never let me try something like this again. Someone else we were walking near said that running a marathon is something like having a baby... you get amnesia... you starting training again. Huh... I'll stick with the amnesia for a little bit longer. The training was amazing... what we can make our bodies endure. The race (and most races I've run, actually) was hard both mentally and physically...

Here are my stats...

5k (33:08)
10k (1:07)
half (2:31... beat last half time - in may - by 10 minutes!!!)
30k (3:48... slooowwwiinggg down :)
20 mile (4:07...
Total chip time (5:39)

And some pics...

Mile 20 (I think...) in a much better mood.








Mile 11, crossing over a lake as we wound our way around many, many lakes. It was soooo beautiful!!! The trees, the water, the sail boats, the canoes, etc.




BOY, were we really THAT close to the airport?! It was neat hearing the airplanes flying overhead.










Finish line... it took me 8 minutes to get across the start line, so my actual time was shorter than my clock time... I'm in the blue shirt :)





Heidi and me... mission accomplished!







Hubby... what a great support. All of those saturday mornings... thanks, honey!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Just wanted you to know I really admire you for just undertaking a task like this! And, I don't know anything about marathons, so to me, it sounds like you did great! :)

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home