the family notes...

just our life, some pictures, some dumb stories, some funny stories... we miss our family and old friends, hoping to share a small snapshot of what we do here...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bentonville, AR, United States

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

103.1??? Yikes!

So, last night when Sweet Pea went to bed she felt a bit warm... didn't think anything of it though.

Fast forward to 11pm... crying, crying... loud crying. I went to get her and she was WARM! She was a bit disorientated, who can blame her though since she'd been asleep for 3 1/2 hours and she had a fever of 103.1! Yikes. So, I got a wet washcloth and her drink and went to call the nurseline as hubby held our crying daughter.

Called our pediatrician's office and listended to the recording... "we are closed... the hours are... the saturday hours are..." click. I didn't feel like listening to all of that so I called our healthcare provider's nurse line. WOW, what a mistake. The lady that answered went through her list of questions and didn't help much or give me a warm and comfy feeling - and I'm all about the warm and comfy feeling.

At one point she asked me if she's listless (spelling?), is she acting like a 'wet noodle'.

ME: Well, she just woke up with a 103 degree fever after being asleep for 3 1/2 hours, I think she's acting pretty normal.

NURSE: Is she eating normal?

ME: Uh, I guess so... for a finicky 14 month old that prefers anything carbohydrate on her plate.

NURSE: Does she have any other symptoms, like a runny nose.

ME: Uh, yes, she's had a runny nose for at least 3 weeks but she's been cutting her back teeth. She did start sneezing on sunday morning.

NURSE: So, she's congested and she has a fever.

ME: Uh, OK... that's not quite what I said but whatever.

ME: she is acting somewhat normal though, she did do her sign for 'drink' to tell me that she's thirsty.

NURSE: is your daugher DEAF?!

ME: uh, no.

NURSE: why did she sign?

ME: SHE'S 14 MONTHS OLD AND SHE CAN'T TALK!!!

NURSE: oh, that's pretty cool.

ME: thinking... where have you been? baby sign language isn't a NEW thing. let's just get this conversation over with so I can hang up and call Sweet Pea's pediatrician.

The nurse then recommended that I take Sweet Pea to an urgent care which normally close at 11pm. If there isn't one open, I should take her to the Emergency room. Uh, OK... We went through this long conversation about where I live and where the closest care centers are, etc. Once I finally got her off of the phone, I called Sweet Pea's Pediatrician and had a great conversation where they recommended I give her Motrin, check her temp in 45 minutes (time for the motrin to kick in), and then monitor her temperature every hour... anything at 105 or higher warrents a trip to the ER. Otherwise, call the office in the morning to make an appointment. Oh, and offer her lots of fluids.

whew... that was easy. Motrin, temp dropped 1 degree, she broke a sweat an hour later, and slept through the night and is doing great now. I'm tired, she's tired, hubby's at work :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Carly! I hope she is feeling better. I hate when my kids have a fever that high! I always alternate tylenol and motrin every 2 hours and it works wonders. That's what our first pediatrician told us to do for fevers that high. We are settled into our house in IL now. We should plan a weekend get together. What do you think?

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home