crazy kid!!!
That would be kid number 2 I'm actually referring to... not the usually craziness of kid number 1!!!
He started sleeping through the night a few weeks ago... 8-9pm until 6am which has slowly stretched to a full 11 hours at night!!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed at a full night's sleep! I can't complain. He's great. It's wonderful. I love it. Hubby's oblivious to it all :)
But... he won't sleep during the day. He'll eat every 3 hours but only sleep for 45 minutes between feedings!! A few things I know... 45 minutes is one sleep cycle and he has to learn to put himself back to sleep between cycles, right?! I little research I've done... some kids just need less sleep. Well, I'm not buying that one!!! Whether it's right or not, I need more sleep (quiet time, silence, naptime, reading time - whatever you call their nap times!) than that therefore my kids are going to sleep more than that! Of course, we all know that sweet pea completely spoiled us with her ability to sleep and her all around easiness of being a baby... but Peanut HAS to learn to sleep!!!!
Yesterday, I decided to try a new schedule with him... He would eat, we'd play for ~1 hour or so and then he'd start to crank so he'd go down for a nap. AND... be up 45 minutes later. So, I'd feed him and we'd play and he'd start to crank so nap time started again. AND... he's up 45 minutes later. This cycle continued on all day...
Now, some of you are thinking - that sounds fine... eating every 2 hours, short naps, that's what all of my kids do. Sorry, I can't do it... 2 1/2 to 3 hours between feedings is good, 2 hours isn't good. That's just us... 1.5-2 hour naps is good, 45 minutes isn't good.
Now, some of you are thinking - let him cry when we wakes up, he'll fall back to sleep. Well, I've tried that too. It's not just a cry, it's a blood curling scream and it doesn't stop. I've let him do it for a long time (in the middle of making dinner, eating lunch or dinner, or reading a really good book)!!!
So, by 5pm, when I was feeding him for the umpteenth time, I was exhausted. I put him in his swing so I could start dinner... after awhile he started to cry. I went to get him and there was poop everywhere!!! I mean everywhere!!! I guess it was bath night anyway.. he just got it early :) I was tired, so my reserve of patience was called upon for this bath and the laundry that followed. Around 6:15, hubby got home and dinner was ready, and Peanut was starting to crank again. Soooo, off to his final 45 minute nap of the day. After dinner, sweet pea and I went to the gym so she could run off some energy and I could run off some energy... at 8:15, on our way home I called hubby expecting to find him frazzled and holding a hungry, screaming kid (since it had been over 3 hours since he last ate)... nope, he was still sleeping!!!!
Agghhhh... still sleeping, huh. He should have woken the kid up, pinched him so he was screaming, and told me head had been screaming the entire time I was gone. That would have made me feel better. But, no... sleeping.
I guess the bath and wearing pj's made him think it was nightime!!!
Sooo, we let him sleep and he woke up at 5am. Not bad... we'll see how today goes.
Ohhh, for those of you waiting for pics... I'll try to get to it during one of those 45 minute naps. It's rather hard to download and upload pics when 45 minutes is all the time I have to work on projects or work on work or do laundry or anything, really....
He started sleeping through the night a few weeks ago... 8-9pm until 6am which has slowly stretched to a full 11 hours at night!!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed at a full night's sleep! I can't complain. He's great. It's wonderful. I love it. Hubby's oblivious to it all :)
But... he won't sleep during the day. He'll eat every 3 hours but only sleep for 45 minutes between feedings!! A few things I know... 45 minutes is one sleep cycle and he has to learn to put himself back to sleep between cycles, right?! I little research I've done... some kids just need less sleep. Well, I'm not buying that one!!! Whether it's right or not, I need more sleep (quiet time, silence, naptime, reading time - whatever you call their nap times!) than that therefore my kids are going to sleep more than that! Of course, we all know that sweet pea completely spoiled us with her ability to sleep and her all around easiness of being a baby... but Peanut HAS to learn to sleep!!!!
Yesterday, I decided to try a new schedule with him... He would eat, we'd play for ~1 hour or so and then he'd start to crank so he'd go down for a nap. AND... be up 45 minutes later. So, I'd feed him and we'd play and he'd start to crank so nap time started again. AND... he's up 45 minutes later. This cycle continued on all day...
Now, some of you are thinking - that sounds fine... eating every 2 hours, short naps, that's what all of my kids do. Sorry, I can't do it... 2 1/2 to 3 hours between feedings is good, 2 hours isn't good. That's just us... 1.5-2 hour naps is good, 45 minutes isn't good.
Now, some of you are thinking - let him cry when we wakes up, he'll fall back to sleep. Well, I've tried that too. It's not just a cry, it's a blood curling scream and it doesn't stop. I've let him do it for a long time (in the middle of making dinner, eating lunch or dinner, or reading a really good book)!!!
So, by 5pm, when I was feeding him for the umpteenth time, I was exhausted. I put him in his swing so I could start dinner... after awhile he started to cry. I went to get him and there was poop everywhere!!! I mean everywhere!!! I guess it was bath night anyway.. he just got it early :) I was tired, so my reserve of patience was called upon for this bath and the laundry that followed. Around 6:15, hubby got home and dinner was ready, and Peanut was starting to crank again. Soooo, off to his final 45 minute nap of the day. After dinner, sweet pea and I went to the gym so she could run off some energy and I could run off some energy... at 8:15, on our way home I called hubby expecting to find him frazzled and holding a hungry, screaming kid (since it had been over 3 hours since he last ate)... nope, he was still sleeping!!!!
Agghhhh... still sleeping, huh. He should have woken the kid up, pinched him so he was screaming, and told me head had been screaming the entire time I was gone. That would have made me feel better. But, no... sleeping.
I guess the bath and wearing pj's made him think it was nightime!!!
Sooo, we let him sleep and he woke up at 5am. Not bad... we'll see how today goes.
Ohhh, for those of you waiting for pics... I'll try to get to it during one of those 45 minute naps. It's rather hard to download and upload pics when 45 minutes is all the time I have to work on projects or work on work or do laundry or anything, really....

3 Comments:
Ugh....I'm so sorry! Rachel was the queen of 45 minute naps for the longest time. I tried all those things you did, too, and finally just had to come to the conclusion that I was going to have to live with it. Thankfully, she's moved up to two 1 1/2 hour naps a day...still trying to get one long afternoon nap, though--who knows if we'll ever get there. Good luck! Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.
Carly, I'm totally with you on the sleep thing. Long naps and all night...that's what I need too! If you figure it out, let me know how to get it done. I'm also with you on all the kids stuff smelling crazy. We still use the nighttime bath bubbles because I don't want watermelon bubbles. Just wanted to let you know there's someone out there who understands! :)
I feel your pain girl! We had to work hard on all 3 of ours to get them to sleep past 45 minutes. Sometimes putting them down earlier helped so they weren't so overtired and letting them cry it out (and sometimes scream it out) seemed to help too. I think if you don't give up and keep trying, by 12-14 weeks they tend to get it. Have you tried putting him on his tummy? I know doctor's say it's a no-no but it worked wonders with all of mine! Hang in there and enjoy those cuties!
Post a Comment
<< Home