the family notes...

just our life, some pictures, some dumb stories, some funny stories... we miss our family and old friends, hoping to share a small snapshot of what we do here...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bentonville, AR, United States

Thursday, October 18, 2007

McDonalds!!!

At least 6 weeks ago, I taped a piece of paper on the bathroom wall with six square drawn on it. I bought a pack of Dora stickers and told Sweet Pea that every time she went pee pee on the potty she could put a sticker in a square. AND, when she got six stickers we would be able to go to McDonalds!!!

It's been painful. The only time she's ever gone on the potty is when she wakes up in the morning and when she wakes up from a nap... she has never told me in the middle of the day... mommy, I have to go potty!!!

Today, she finally got her 6th sticker... so the family went to McDonalds for dinner ;) Ugh...

We took the sticker sheet down from the bathroom...

-sweet pea, why are we going to mcdonalds?
-to eat
-because???
-food
-noooo, because you went pee pee on the potty!!!!
-oh, yeah... pee pee on the potty. two chocolates (we give her two hershey's kisses), sticker, mcdonalds
-yes, we're going to mcdonalds because you went pee pee on the potty (we proceed to count all six dora stickers)

later... maybe five minutes later

-sweet pea, why are we going to mcdonalds?
-to eat
-yes, but we're going to mcdonalds to eat because.....
no response
-we're going to mcdonalds to eat because you went pee pee on the potty six times!!!

later... sitting, eating our wonderfully healthy mcdonalds with the sticker sheet sitting in front of us...

-sweet pea, are you enjoying your mcdonalds?
-yes
-why are we eating mcdonalds?
-dinner
-yes, but why mcdonalds?
confused look
-we're eating mcdonalds because (you get the picture)

After we left mcdonalds, we were heading to bible study and we were trying to ask Sweet Pea what she wanted for a treat next time she went pee pee on the potty six times. She came back with; apple, cookie, apple, yes... and apple.

Well, I can't see how that would work!!! Hubby and I were thinking Pizza, but that's such a staple in our house for all members (unlike mcdonalds) that we wouldn't want to deprive ourselves of it just because someone likes her diapers. We could always eat pizza in front of her and serve her something that she doesn't like (like most forms of meat)... but that's just cruel.

Today we weren't planning on leaving the house (which doesn't happen very often) so I asked sweet pea if she wanted to wear her trainers. She had already done her stinky duty in her diaper so I thought we were safe. She wanted to wear her trainers so we talked about being dry, etc., etc. We also talked about not getting stinky in her trainers!!! Big no, no... Well, we sat on the potty a few times with nothing happening... and then maybe 10 minutes after one of the sittings she looked at me and said - "I'm wet". Ok, no biggie... let's put on your other trainer. And, later I looked at her and she grunted. no...

"sweet pea, are you stinky?"
"yes"
aghhhhh...
"I told you not to get stinky in your trainer"

much frustration... which is a big no, no for potty training. no frustration.

Soooooo, no more trainers for now.

We're actually going to a class through community ed. next tuesday. I'm sure they'll tell me everything I'm doing is wrong. Oh well.

We'll give her an apple once she goes potty six more times!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger brandon said...

She is so cute. I love hearing the things she says. Hang in there with the potty training. We still clean up after Greta Pearl at least a couple times a week, and occassionally we get a "stinky" on the floor!. Sometimes she'll tell us she has gone on the floor but she can't always clearly communicate where it is, so that makes for an interesting, shall we say "scavenger hunt". If there's one key principle that we have found is consistent after potty training 3 kids, it is patience. Everything else is just kind of secondary.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home