the family notes...

just our life, some pictures, some dumb stories, some funny stories... we miss our family and old friends, hoping to share a small snapshot of what we do here...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bentonville, AR, United States

Thursday, July 13, 2006

food? really, you want food?

So, I'm a big believer in baby sign language because at 8 months of age or so sweet pea started WHINING! And, when I say WHINING, I mean WHHHIIIINNNIIINGG!!! What in the world, this laid back, easy going kid is driving me BATTY! Hubby and I had taken a baby sign language class (can you see hubby, in a class with other couples - husbands obviously not there by their own free will - practicing the sign for banana... Tooo funny) a bit earlier, so I thought I'd check this out.

We started with the word 'drink' which looks like your are tipping a cup towards your lips. Huh, no luck. Maybe our genius baby isn't so smart after all... and she's still WHINING. Around 6 months, I had started showing her the sign for 'milk' while she was drinking milk (no, she wasn't drinking cows milk at the time... use your imagination). Huh, about 3-4 days into me trying to teach her the sign for 'drink', she came back at me with the sign for 'milk'. Now, if you don't know, the sign for milk looks like what dairy farmers used to do to milk cows before machines took care of the duty. Sooooo, my daughter, as cute as she is, is now sign language confused.

Fast forward a few months and sweet pea's sign for drink (no mater what type of fluid she is consuming) is the sign for milk. Sortof funny but super cute too, especially when she looks you square in the eyes and signs 'milk' with force, with both hands.

Back to the point... food... The sign for food is your fingers towards your mouth, like you're placing something in your mouth. It's the second or third sign she learned. The past few days, she's been whining again and I've looked at her and asked her "sweet pea, what's wrong? what do you want?" and she looks at me back and signs 'food'. "sweet pea, it's not eating time, you just had a snack (and entire nutra-grain bar) and we're eating dinner in an hour" and she says, "food, food, food". This exchange continues on a few more times. Last night, I gave up and put her in her high chair at 4:30 (after 30-40 minutes of the conversation you just witnessed above) and fed her peas for another snack (she actually loves peas)... then cheese, then sliced turkey, then a little banana. Huh, I guess she was hungry? And, yes, she ate again at 6:30 with hubby while he ate dinner.

Can she be having another growth spurt? Have you seen the pictures of her thighs? Can she live off of the fat of the land for awhile?

While we were having this 'discussion', I almost told her to grab a slice of cheese out of the fridge. Yes, the wrapped American kind... it's what my mom told me to get if I was hungry before dinner.

As a side note, her sign language vocabulary is pretty nice. She can say; drink, food, more, please (new one!), bath (not sure why I taught her this one), and we are currently working on 'love'. It's really fun, we can actually sortof kindof talk to each other. She's still whining, and she's still asking for food as she whines... I hope she doesn't become a statistic in the growing trend of large toddlers. Naw, we wouldn't let that happen, I'll strap her onto the treadmill with me!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

as a mother of some large babies, let me assure you that my boys lost all their baby fat. Don't worry, just be jealous that large thighs and double chins can't stay sooo cute forever!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home